Thursday, July 16, 2020

It’s about Light: The Art of Life
Art & Life in New York

Men of New York with Stefano, Vincenza , Eder and Sebastien
While I worked at the United Nations, I had the opportunity to work in the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General which led me to be in contact with UN Correspondents.  I truly enjoyed my work which was fascinating for I was news monitoring and our office was at the heart of world events.  I also met so many interesting people in my office and, especially meeting the journalists who, in some cases, became my friends.  Among my journalist friends, I was very fortunate to know the founder of La Voce di New York, Stefano Vaccara, who has been not only a friend but also a great supporter of my artistic initiatives and for which I am so grateful. 

I am very grateful to have had the opportunity of working at the United Nations for, in my view, it is like going to school every day, the school of life.  I was able to learn a great deal about the world, about people and I honestly believe that it remains one of the best hope for humanity.  With this global pandemic, it is even more important that we work together to find a cure.


My last birthday in New York at Crow's Nest
At Crow's Nest on the East River
My life in New York was also about my art and I always tried to keep my creativity alive while going to the museums and walking all over the city to get a glimpse of its beauty from the parks to the brownstones, discovering new places and, most importantly, new restaurants that I promised myself I would try with my friends.  One of my favourite places to meet with my friends was my Greek restaurant hang-out, Avra, where the food was so delicious and the ambiance was very cozy, especially at the bar.  I celebrated my 60th birthday at Avra, the food and the wine were flowing, the laughter, and the joy of being together with my friends, it was a memorable celebration.  My other favourite was Pastis in the meatpacking district, which reminded me of an old brasserie in Paris. We used to go on Sunday afternoon in the Winter, a perfect time when the crowd was not too loud and we could talk about life and all that jazz.

When I moved to Waterside Plaza on the East River, which was my last home in New York before I returned to Canada, I discovered another hang-out place on my way back home from work.  The Water Club was an anchored boat that had an open bar on the upper deck called The Crow’s Nest.  Being on a boat on the East River felt like being away on vacation in a beach resort of some kind. It had all the attributes of a faraway and sunny destination. 

Marlene Luce Tremblay added a new photo — with Anthony Yammouni and 3 others.
 My 60th Birthday Party at Avra

No comments:

Post a Comment