Monday, July 6, 2020

It’s about Light: The Art of Life
Nature Art  & Music

Mozart's Minuet in C
Today my artwork is about nature, for the sublime of beauty and harmony resides in the natural world.  I have a fascination with trees that dates back to my younger years when I used to go into the woods and talk to the trees while watching the clouds making images of my imagination. Moreover, I would cry and feel pain when I heard chainsaws cutting trees in the forest.  Trees are not only beautiful but also embody selflessness for they provide all life on earth with oxygen, clean the air and soil.  Trees give so much to our world and play an important role to combat climate change. I see the natural world as the embodiment of beauty, harmony, and love. 

Haydn's Minuet
I find that the natural world is so conducive to classical music, it’s as if the masters of classical music were in tune with nature and the divine when they composed symphonies.  My favorites, among many others, are Mozart, Beethoven, Faure, Wagner (Tannhauser Overture), Samuel Barber (Adagio for Strings), and Gustav Mahler (Symphony No. 5 in C minor).  As we are still listening to their music today, it seems to me that their creative inspiration was heavenly and from an elevated world, almost surreal.  That’s how I see the natural world, as pure creative energy and a reminder of the transience of human existence. 

As I am hopelessly romantic, I also appreciate music from the movies and the film score from Cinema Paradiso by Ennio Morricone (sadly, who passed away today) inspires me when I’m in my creative bubble, as well as John Barry from Out of Africa, James Horner for The English Patient James Newton Howard for The Prince of Tides, Henry Mancini for Breakfast at Tiffany and, John William for Schindler’s List, to name a few.  Wrapped in music, I am totally in tune with my romantic and passionate heart.

With a passionate heart, I placed love at the top of my priorities – to love and be loved – was my ultimate dream and somehow life took a different turn when I fell in love for the first time. As Julia Cameron wrote in Walking in this World: “Making art is making love with life.  We open ourselves to art as to love’’.  I opened my heart at a young age, starting a new chapter of my life but not quite ready for what the future had in store for me.  Life is not traced in a straight line for we often make choices that lead to an unknown path.  Life to me is not linear but more like a spiral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment